Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits. At the peak of ripeness, they are bright red in color and it is easy to smell their sweetness. They are a must have in my refrigerator because of the health benefits and just because I enjoy them so much. As I was going through my refrigerator, I stumbled upon some strawberries that would be spoiled in a few days. Strawberries and cream rolls came to mind because I had a taste for something fluffy and sweet, yet fruity. As I was making these amazing goodies, I made sure to add strawberry puree in my dough as well as my filling to ensure the strawberry flavor was throughout. I wanted these rolls to scream strawberries in every bite. These rolls had my entire home with a sweet and fruity aroma, which sent a signal that it was time for dessert.
½ cup warm water
• 2 tsp instant yeast
• ⅓ cup sugar
• ½ cup milk
• ⅓ cup melted butter
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 eggs
• 4¼- 4¾ cups flour
• 1/2 strawberry purée
• 8 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
• ¾ cup powdered sugar
• ¾ cup strawberry jam
• 1 cup finely diced strawberries
• ⅓ cup reserved cream cheese mixture
• ½ cup powdered sugar
• 1-2 tsp milk
• splash of vanilla
• 1/4 cup purée
1. Combine warm water, yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat in milk, melted butter, salt, eggs, and 1 cup of the flour. Beat till smooth. Add Purée, Add enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead till smooth.
2. Let dough rest for 5 minutes while you prepare the filling.
3. Beat cream cheese till soft and fluffy. Add ¾ cup powdered sugar and purée and beat till smooth. SET ASIDE ABOUT ⅓ CUP OF FILLING. In another small bowl, combine the jam and diced strawberries.
4. Roll out dough on a greased counter top to a rectangle about 10×15″. Spread on the cream cheese mixture, then the berries. Roll up and pinch the edge to seal.
5. Cut log into 12 slices and place in a well greased 9×13″ pan. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
6. Add the ½ cup of powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla to the reserved cream cheese mixture. Beat till smooth, adding enough milk to get a thin glaze.
7. Place the rolls in a warm spot and let them rise till doubled (about an hour.)
8. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes, or till done in the middle.