I’ve been battling a terrible cold for a few weeks now and needed something to get me feel better. I remember as a child, whenever I wasn’t feeling well, the women in my family would make this amazing Jamaican chicken and veggies soup. Now, I find myself doing the same for my family.
It is rich of wonderful vegetables such as turnips, chayote, carrots, onions and my favorite kabato pumpkin. Combining these veggies with chicken, spices, herbs and a pack of Grace chicken noodle mix delivers a soup that will aid in a speedy recovery and a lot of flavor for those lost taste buds.
14 cup(s) water
1 Kabato pumpkin
3 medium carrot
2 clove(s) garlic
2 tbs salt
1 tsp all spice
1 packet(s) Grace Cock Soup Mix
2 stalk(s) escallion (green onion)
3 sprig(s) thyme
6-8 pieces of drumettes
6 whole pimento berries
1 whole scotch bonnet pepper
- Clean and wash chicken in a vinegar or lemon and add with water in soup pot on medium heat.
- Grate 1 carrot and add to pot.
- Dice pumpkin, 2 carrots, turnips, chayotes and add to pot.
- Cut onion into four sections along with crush garlic and add to pot.
- As the pot comes to a boil, it will began to foam up. Using a large spoon, take foam off top and throw away.
- Add salt, all spice, 3 pimento berries, 1 escalation, and 1 sprig of thyme. Cook for 45 minutes. Stir constantly to prevent sticking at the bottom of pot.
- Add Grace Cock Soup Mix and stir into the soup along with remaining of escallion, thyme, pimento berries and scotch bonnet pepper.
- Stir the mixture, cover and leave to simmer for a further 15 minutes.
Note: This soup is great with any vegetable of choice and an also be made vegan or vegetarian.